Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) / Photobiomodulation (PBMT)

LLLT is a light therapy that utlises lasers & LED probes that are placed near or in contact with the skin. The light energy (photons) penetrate the tissue & interact with the body’s cells leading to alterations at the molecular, celluar and tissue levels of the body.

In recent years there have been hundreds of studies relating to the use of LLLT for musculoskeletal complaints.
The American Physical Therapy Association’s Clinical Practice Guidelines lists LLLT as one of the most effective treatment interventions in the treatment of Achilles Tendinitis.

What does LLLT do?
  • Accelerate wound healing & tissue regeneration
  • Increase circulation
  • Reduce acute inflammation
  • Reduce acute & chronic pain
  • Restore normal cellular function
Conditions LLLT can assist in treating
  • Acute Injuries (Ankle Sprains)
  • Arthritic Joints (Rheumatoid Arthritis & Osteoarthritis)
  • Chronic Tendon Complaints (Achilles Tendinopathy)

 


Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT)

Shockwaves are movements of extremely high pressure & Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) is the application of Shock Waves in medicine.
Shockwave Therapy stimulates metabolic reactions when applied to injured tissues, assisting in tissue healing & pain reduction.

What does shockwave do?

There are a number of clinical effects that occur as a result of ESWT application.

  1. Reduction in pain felt by nerve fibres (analgesic effect).
  2. Increase circulation & stimulate new blood vessel formation.
  3. Stimulate tissue healing by activation of stem cells.
Conditions shockwave can assist in treating
  • Plantar Fasciopathy (‘Heel Spurs’ / Plantar Fasciitis)
  • Achilles Tendinopathy
  • Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (MTSS / ‘Shin Splints’)
  • Tibial Apophysitis (Osgood-Schlatter Disease)
  • Patellar Tendinopathy
  • Gluteal Tendinopathy

Click HERE to download our ESWT Information Flyer


Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)

A TENS machine is an electronic medical device that stimulates your nerves via an electrical current through your skin.

What does tens do?

There are two mechanisms in which TENS assists in controlling pain.

  1. Sensory Level Stimulation
    The TENS machine interferes with the transmission of pain signals.
  2. Motor Level Stimulation
    The TENS machine stimulates the release of endorphins which block the spread of pain messages from the body in the brain. 
Conditions tens can assist in treating
  • Arthritic Pain (Rheumatoid Arthritis & Osteoarthritis)
  • Chronic Tendon Complaints (Achilles Tendinopathy)

 


Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS)

EMS is used in musculoskeletal rehabilitation for strengthening weak muscles.

What does EMS do?

There are two mechanisms in which EMS assists in improving muscle strength.

  1. Increase Resting Muscle Fibre Recruitment
    When you maximally contract a muscle approximately 30% of your muscle fibres are in a state of contraction, leaving 70% dormant. EMS can potentially stimulate these resting fibres increasing overall muscle strength.
  2. Improved Nerve Conduction Rates
    The more frequent your muscle is recruited the quicker & better your body becomes at recruiting that muscle. By repeatedly stimulating the muscle to contract EMS can accelerate the process in which the body learns the improved nerve conduction pathway.
Conditions EMS can assist in treating
  • Muscular Rehabilitation

Clinical Uses;

  • Acute Injuries (Ankle Sprains)
  • Chronic Complaints (Chronic Ankle Instability)
Forster Tuncurry Sports Podiatry
111 Macintosh St, Forster NSW 2428
(02) 6557 2034
Facebook
Facebook
Instagram